top of page

I have a Power of Attorney, now what?

Once you have prepared a Personal Directive it is important to register your personal directive with the Government of Alberta.

When you register your personal directive with the Government of Alberta, approved health care professionals can contact the Office of the Public Guardian and Trustee to find out:

  • If you have a personal directive

  • How to contact your agent(s) if need be

If you are admitted to hospital and you’ve lost the ability to make decisions because you are ill or injured, the hospital can check with the Personal Directive Registry. The registry does not contain a copy of your personal directive. It only lists contact information for you and your agent(s).

  • Registering your personal directive is optional. It is valid even if you do not register it.

  • Registering is a free service.

  • Only medical professionals who have been approved by the Office of the Public Guardian and Trustee have access to your personal information.

  • Registration takes a couple of weeks, including the time it takes to receive a letter by mail and respond to it.

How to register your Personal Directive

Step 1: Set up your account

Set up an account with Secure Identity & Access Management System (SIAMS). If you already have an account, log in.

Go to SIAMS now

If you need help using SIAMS, contact the help desk.

Toll free within Alberta: Dial 310-0000 followed by 780-427-5318


Step 2: Register

Follow the directions online to register your personal directive.

Step 3: Confirm

You and your agent(s) will receive a letter in the mail asking for your consent to include your personal contact information in the registry. Follow the directions in the letter to finish the registration process. If we don’t hear from you, we can’t share your information with others.

Step 4: Keep your information up-to-date

Remember to update the registry if:

  • Your contact information changes

  • Your agent’s contact information changes

  • You replace an agent


Alberta Health Services recommends that every Albertan who is 18 years of age or older should have a personal directive.

A Personal Directive (PD) operates while the maker is still alive, but is not capable of making their own decisions related to their personal affairs, and which are not related to their finances.

A PD is similar to an EPA in that it gives authority to another person while the maker is alive but cannot make their own decisions relating to their personal care, health care, or living accommodations. Authority is given to decide on the maker’s living arrangements, daily care arrangements and medical care, including decisions regarding the termination of life support.

The Personal Directive is brought into effect upon the mental incapacity of the maker, and terminates upon the death of the maker.

A personal directive is prepared while you can still make your own decisions. Your assigned agent does not make decisions for you until you need help, which is confirmed through a capacity assessment.

#Attorney #LivingWill #personaldirective #wills #PowerofAttorney

34 views0 comments
bottom of page